“You’re leaving!” fined 160 million won + missed one more game

The English Football Association (FA) said on the 9th (Korea Standard Time), “Van Dyke was fined 100,000 pounds (about 166 million won). “It was because of the issue of being sent off against Newcastle,” he said. “Van Dyke poured out harsh words to referee John Brooks and waiting referee Craig Pawson after being sent off.”

“Van Dyke admitted that he had acted inappropriately and made insulting remarks to the referees shortly after he was ordered to leave. “We have disciplined Van Dyke in accordance with FA regulations,” he explained.

Van Dyke was initially suspended for one game. Because of this, he missed the match against Aston Villa. However, he was also absent from the match against Wolverhampton after receiving one more game of disciplinary action. It is unwelcome news for Liverpool.

Van Dyke said: “Exiting against Newcastle was not common to me. He has never been sent off for Liverpool. Throughout his entire career, he was sent off only four times. So I was embarrassed to leave that day,” he said.

The incident took place on the 28th of last month. Liverpool and Newcastle played the third round of the English Premier League (EPL) in the 2023-24 season at St. James’ Park in Newcastle, England. Van Dyke was sent off in the 28th minute of the first half when Liverpool were being dragged 0-1.

Van Dyke walked the leg of Newcastle striker Alexander Isaac outside the penalty box. It was a clear foul. Van Dyke and Liverpool players returned to the defense to prepare for free kicks as if they expected a yellow card. However, referee Brooks took the card out of his pants pocket, not his chest pocket. The card was red.

Van Dyke covered his mouth with his hands in surprise. He protested harshly to the referee, saying, “How is this an exit?” and spat out abusive language. The referee’s decision was not reversed. On the way back to the locker room, Pawson’s atmosphere was rough. Jürgen Klopp had to stop him.

Liverpool won even though they fought with 10 people. Darwin Nunes, a substitute in the 32nd minute of the second half, equalized in the 36th minute of the second half and scored a come-from-behind goal in the 3rd minute of extra time. Both goals were scored in a similar position.

Nunes, who was put in the second half and turned the game around, said, “I feel really good. I am proud of my Liverpool colleagues. He played a really good game even though one was sent off and fought with 10 players. He held on well to the end. Strong mentality allowed him to dominate the Newcastle away game. I’m very satisfied,” he said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *